Ok I admit, I’m addicted to Mokume Gane. It all started with that Rainbow Pen and those beautiful colors popping out at every layer. So I took it a step further with this video as I show you step by step how I created two different style of mokume gane pendant and earrings jewelry sets.
This video shows you a simple jewelry set with a focus on foundation, concept and technique. I plan to do another video soon on a more complex and ‘fancier’ jewelry set experimenting with the different effects of color, size, and shape to bring out the best in the polymer clay mokume gane technique.
Tools and supplies are listed below this video
(Click to watch this video on YouTube. For transcript click the closed captions CC icon at the bottom right of the video)
Tools and supplies to follow along:
- Premo Sculpey or other polymer clay
- Rolling pin or Pasta machine to condition your clay and create your sheets
- Super Slicer blade to cut your mokume gane
- Saran Wrap to protect your clay while stored/refrigerated
- Kemper Klay Kutters or other cutters to impress on the clay
- Jump rings or Thick wire and Thin wire for earring and pendant loops
- Oven – I used a dedicated one for clay – the Deni Convection Oven
How I created the curved black jewelry set mentioned in the video:
The final set shown in the video was created the same way using black, white, silver and pearl Premo polymer clay.
I cut the mokume gane, and formed the earring/pendant shape in the manner described in the video.
Baking the Earrings/Pendant to get a Round Shape
I placed the earrings and pendant face down on a small piece of baking paper to prevent leaching. I then placed the baking paper on a small piece of white paper, rolled it into a tube and secured with oven-safe paperclips. I made sure the earrings were slightly curved and hadn’t turned in the tube.
I baked it this way in my Deni Convection Oven and let it sit overnight to ensure it cooled at a curve. Finished products shown in the video.
Questions on this video/technique?
Let me know by leaving a comment below